Believe it or not we have been in Sydney for 6 months and until this weekend not ventured into the water at many of the amazing local beaches.
So I accepted an invite by some friends to go body boarding at 8:30am on Saturday. After accepting the invite I figured I better kit myself out with a body board which we did on Friday evening. I wasn't sure if spending money on something that I perhaps may not like was wise but decided to go for it and am now the owner of a bodyboard, flippers and billabong surf top!
After spending most of the night awake (our body clocks are still abit all over the place after our trip) I met the others down at Maroubra beach about 15 mins from home. Esther and I visited Maroubra not long after we first arrived, then there were very few people around. Arriving on Saturday morning it seemed a completely different place, at 8:30 the beach was busy and the water was full of surfers and body boarders.
After figuring out which way to put the flippers on and hearing a warning to "watch out for these jelly fish in the water they really sting if they get you" and a few jokes saying "sharks like welsh meat" I ventured in to what my friends called a "very small swell".
The first few attempts into the water saw me get smashed back onto the beach by waves bigger than I had confronted before! After a few more attempts I was over the breaking waves and floating with the others waiting for the next big wave to ride back in to the shore.
It wasn't long before a suitable wave came along, and I wish I could say that I was in complete control riding the wave. But I cant. I was just in the right place at the right point and the wave took hold of my board and away I went...it was fantastic.
From this point on, it was back to fighting the waves and getting smashed about before catching the next one.
I was not really looking forward to bodyboarding but I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next opportunity to get out into the sea.
Having said that.....
I was not impressed to come home and see the top story on the evening news: Sharks at Bondi!
Bondi is only a couple of beaches up from where we were bodyboarding that same morning! Don't worry mum, they tell me there is a very slim chance of being had by a shark (even being welsh!!)
Here's a link to the news story if you are interested. "Sharks force swimmers out of water at Bondi"
Sunday, September 24, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Remember what happened when thae character from 'The Beach' met the shark? Be safe!!
Trust me I met a shark recently...I got a dodgy Ipod for my troubles!!!
Take care.
J
Take it you didn't get far with getting your money back then?
hi easther this is sam walker here on my dads name so how are you and if that happened here i would never go in the water again i mean that would scare me for the rest of my life i wouldnt even let my children in the water let alone my friends.
Post a Comment